Perfectly nutty, sweet and savory! Quite a blend of unusual ingredients together, but it works…it works!
- 1/4 C The Olive Grove’s Lemon Olive Oil
- 1 C The Olive Grove’s Farro
- 2 1/2 C Water
- 1/4 C Lemon juice, fresh (about 1 lemon)
- 1 T Cumin, ground
- 1 T Shallot, minced
- 3 T The Olive Grove’s Barolo Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 C Parsley leaves
- 1 Pear, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 C Black olives, pitted and sliced
- 3/4 C Ricotta salata, grated
- 1/4 C Pomegranate seeds
Farro: In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm 2 T of the olive oil. Add the farro and cook, stirring frequently, until the farro has darkened slightly in color and smells toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Cover the farro with the water, bring to a boil, cover the pan and simmer until the farro is tender and the water has been absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then refrigerate until cool, about 20 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, cumin, shallot, red wine vinegar and the remaining 2 T of olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley, pear, black olives and farro. Toss to combine, spread the salad on a platter, top evenly with the ricotta salata and pomegranate seeds and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings