- 4 (about 3lbs) Skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts
- 3T + 1/2 C The Olive Grove’s Lemon Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Lemon, thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large sprigs Thyme, de-stemmed (smaller stems are ok to use, discard the woody stems)
- 1 C Green Castelvetrano olives, pitted and halved (I have luck finding these at Whole Foods already pitted), or your favorite green olive without any stuffing
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel, and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to allow to get chicken to room temperature. In the meantime, heat grill to low-medium heat. Place half of the lemon slices in a small bowl with garlic, 1T olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Set remaining lemon slices aside for serving.
Rub room temperature chicken with about 2T olive oil. Grill chicken skin side down until skin is browned and starting to crisp, about 20 minutes. Turn chicken over, and grill another 8-10 minutes until chicken is done. An instant-read thermometer should read 160 degrees at the thickest part of the breast. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 15 minutes. Turn grill up to high heat, and grill lemon slices until charred, turning once, about 3 minutes.
Pull chicken meat from the bones and slice. Place on a serving platter. Spread thyme, olives, grilled lemon slices, and reserved lemon slices over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with lemon juice and 1/2 C olive oil. Let sit at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
Serve at room temperature.
*You may do this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but note cooking times will be less, and chicken not as juicy.